To qualify for the HPD HomeFirst program, a prospective homebuyer must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a first-time homebuyer
- Complete a homebuyer counseling and education program with NHS or another HPD-approved counseling agency
- Have his/her own savings to contribute to the down payment or closing costs
- Meet program income eligibility requirements (click here for income requirements)
- Purchase a 1-4 family home, a condominium, or a cooperative for owner-occupancy in one of the five boroughs of New York City
Other criteria apply. HomeFirst applications are submitted by the homeownership counselors after the one-on-one counseling session is completed.